I love Instagram

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Fashion on a budget.


Fashion does not have to cost a fortune. There, I said it. I know there will be some who think differently but I truly believe you can develop your "own" style without breaking the bank. I have always loved spending my mornings on Instagram for inspiration for something fun & funky to wear that day. That's why I have decided to join in with Styling You for #everydaystyle. I want to show that you do not need to spend the grocery money on clothes. Sure, if you can afford to spend that much & that is your pleasure in life, then do it! I just know that with one income, a mortgage, 2 teenage daughters & everyday expenses, we can not afford to spend too much on clothes. That is why I always start with shopping at the sales & op shopping. Please do not be scared when I say op shopping.
To me it has become a thrill! Do you know how many brand new brand name clothes are at your local Vinnies or Salvos? A lot!! You just have to be prepared to look & shop on a regular basis as you may not find something every time. Take this Sportscraft dress for example.




 I found this at my local op shop & it still had its original price tags on. Yes, brand new with tags. I paid $6.50 BUT the best part is that it was originally priced at $199 retail!! Now THAT is a bargain! I can roll the sleeves up in summer & team it with some flat shoes & a wide brim hat. In winter, just chuck on a pair of leggings or tights underneath.Another way to save money on clothes is to buy things that can be worn all year long.

Last week I needed some new shirts. Shirts that I could wear with black dress pants to job interviews & that I could also wear with jeans on the weekends. I came across 2 brand new shirts that fitted that brief . 





It was half price clothes day at the op shop so I got these for only $3.50 each! 2 tailored ladies cotton business shirts for $7. They will be perfect for interviews. Also perfect to wear with jeans for weekend outings.  I can see these with black jeans, ankle boots, sleeves rolled up & a statement necklace for a date night. 


My family will tell you that I have an unhealthy obsession with jackets & coats. Considering that we really do not have a very cold winter here in QLD, maybe they are right. But who cares! Because.... I picked up this winter coat for $12!!



Hello lover! I think I will have to plan a night out in the middle of winter just so I can wear it. 


I also like to make my own clothes. I think that at least 1/3 of my wardrobe is made by me. I know that these clothes will stand the test of time & I will feel proud to wear them. Once you find a pattern for an article of clothing that you love, make one in every colour!! 




I have so many of these light weight kimono type jackets that I have made. Plain, printed or with lace trim, they all look great! You can even make them out of a sarong or large scarf. Always look out for those at the sales. It's a cheap way to buy some fabulous fabric. 

Do you join in with #everydaystyle on Instagram? If you do, put your instagram user name in the comments below so I can follow along with you!

What are your tips on how to stay fashionable without breaking the bank? 

And if you want, follow me on Instagram to see how I dress on a budget. My user name is fromjoswithlove. If you are not on Instagram that's OK, I will be doing a weekly recap back here on the blog. 

From Jos with love. xx








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
From Jos with love. xx