I love Instagram

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Veggie Dhal recipe. Or is it dahl or darl? Whatever it is, its yummy!

http://fromjoswithlove.blogspot.com.au/


The days are getting cooler & the nights are best spent inside curled up on the lounge under a warm blanket. But nothing warms the belly quite like a hearty meal. A few months back, I stumbled upon a fantastic recipe, Hippie Mumma's easy dhal. It is so good! As I usually do, I started customizing the recipe just a little. I like a lot of veggies. I like them a lot!! So I bulked it up a bit. This recipe is awesome, yes awesome, because its all done in one pot. No cooking ingredients separately. You just throw it all in the pot & watch it simmer.
So you can pop it on while the witching hour is upon us (all mothers know what I am talking about!). This is a great dish to serve with rice. Did you notice my nice new cast iron pot??? I spied them in the Aldi brochure & I knew I just had to have them! Not only are they my fave colour, but I think I can now pack away the rest of my casserole dishes for the girls when they move out of home. These cast iron pots are super fabulous. I have 2 & I just want one more.

OK, on to the recipe.


http://fromjoswithlove.blogspot.com.au/



In a large pot, throw in theses ingredients.

  • 1 cup of red lentils, rinsed well
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into cubes
  • 1 cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 cups of stock, I use veggie stock
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of garam masala (found in the spice aisle)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric (found in the spice aisle)
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of curry powder
  • salt & pepper to taste
You can adjust these spices to suit your taste. You could even add some chilli for a kick. This recipe is not super spicy. It is like Goldilocks says, "It's just right." 

Added extras
  • rice to serve
  • yogurt to serve (optional)



http://fromjoswithlove.blogspot.com.au/


Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils have softened & the liquid is nice & thick. Keep a lid on the pot while it is simmering.



http://fromjoswithlove.blogspot.com.au/


I like to serve it with brown rice but you could serve with any type of rice. Just put the dhal & rice on the table & let everyone serve themselves. 


http://fromjoswithlove.blogspot.com.au/



This recipe also freezes well. I have a freezer full of meal sized containers of dhal right now. It makes the best reheated lunch ever!

Have you ever tried dhal?What is your favorite winter warming meal? 


From Jos with Love. xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
From Jos with love. xx